Before I was introduced to Beautycounter, I was already feeling the urge to switch to safer. The beginning of my journey to finding safer products began in my home: laundry detergent, dish detergent, hand soap, cleaning products, etc. I found a safer company and switched to their products but was overwhelmed with having to place a monthly, auto-ship order. I ended up having to order items I wasn’t out of yet. So even though I loved the company and it was a safer choice, I still had a lot to learn concerning the ingredient “FRAGRANCE”.
Does this fact surprise you? The article linked above goes into more details about a study that showed how volatile organic compounds are emitted from our laundry vents when scented laundry detergents and fabric softeners are used.
That’s ALOT of laundry. Those chemicals used to create that beloved fragrance, may cause hormone disruptions and even contain carcinogens (yuck)! Want to read more about fragrance and why to avoid, I highly recommend taking the time to read what the Environmental Working Group has put together!
Another issue in most products that contain “fragrance” contain phthalates. Phthalates cause problems to your reproductive organs, endocrine system, and infant development (want more info on this?). I don’t know about you, but that is not something that I want to have on my body, in contact with my largest organ (my skin) all day long.
So, how do you ditch the laundry detergent you have come to love dearly for unscented? Well, be careful not to just switch to the unscented version of your current brand. Unscented versions doesn’t equal lack of hazardous ingredients. Many unscented versions of detergent simply contain masking agents that cover up the scent…..ew.
Let’s take a minute to discuss this point….
Everyday truly is a new beginning. Don’t beat yourself up BUT also don’t ignore the facts.
- Ditching FRAGRANCE is such an easy switch! You are already buying laundry product for your home so it’s not like you have to come up with extra funds from your budget!
- What do you do with your scented products you currently have? Two options: use up and then replace or throw away (or donate unopened products). This is totally up to you…Branch Basics has an opportunity to Toss the Toxins!
- How do you find a brand you can trust? I will give you my recommendations purely on my own experience. Please understand that I genuinely LOVE sharing my favorite things which is 99% why I started writing this blog, but I will include links (some of which are affiliate links)! Does an affiliate link mean I was sent free product to test from the company? No, I’m not that cool (yet) so if there is a link to a brand, it may be an affiliate link if the brand has one for bloggers.
- So now you’re stuck with unscented clothes? If you really enjoy a fresh laundry scent, I highly recommend using wool dryer balls in your dryer. Store the dryer balls in a glass container with a lid. You can drop your favorite essential oil on the balls (allow time for the oil to be absorbed before putting it in your dryer) or put an empty essential oil bottle in the container with the dryer balls! Or read up on the ingredients of a scented product and watch out for the elusive word “FRAGRANCE”…
What to look for in a brand:
- Ingredient transparency!
- Avoid ingredients like: FRAGRANCE, PEGs and Phthalates
- Watch for green-washing: just because the name appears “organic” or “non-toxic” doesn’t equal safer! Read the label!
My Favorite Brands:
- DROPPS: I am a big fan of this company for many reasons but the top two are: ingredient transparency + sustainability!
- I use the unscented designed for sensitive skin but the scented version does not use synthetic fragrances so you can view the ingredient list to make sure none of their ingredients would bother you!
- I am looking forward to trying their dish detergent pods next!
- They offer subscription options with savings!
- PURACY: local to Texas, family-owned business! I have quite a few favorites!
- I LOVE that they offer refill bags so you can keep using your existing bottles/pumps!
- Their stain remover is the BEST. I’VE. EVER. USED!
- I also use their hand soap and body soap (again, love the refill bags)!
- Subscription option available!
- Get $10 off your first order!
These are the two brands that I have personally tried and currently use! There are others out there! If you have questions about the safety of your current brand, message me! I would love to help you investigate!
I sincerely hope this was helpful for you! Are you still overwhelmed? Please message me, comment or reach out in some way! I would LOVE to help you take the baby steps towards eliminating toxins from your home. It is not as overwhelming when you have someone helping you take one small step at a time because, remember, when you know better, you do better for yourself and those you love!